UK: Wine preferred alcoholic drink - survey
Wine is the preferred alcoholic drink for consumers in the UK, according to a survey commissioned by the Wine and Spirit Trade Association (WSTA).
The survey, published to coincide with this week's London International Wine Fair, saw white wine emerge as the number one drink of choice, the WSTA said on Saturday (9 May).
According to the survey, which was carried out by research group Wine Intelligence, one in three (34%) UK consumers who drink alcohol said they prefer wine, compared to just over one in four (27%) who expressed a preference for beer and one in five (20%) who prefer spirits.
Asked to name what they drink, over half (54%) of all UK adults said they drink white wine, with 48% saying beer and 47% saying red wine. Rosé wine is next in the league table with over a third (35%) saying they drink it.
When alcohol drinkers were asked to specify why they like certain drinks, they put wine top in terms of taste (77%), as a relaxing drink without food (75%) and good with food (89%). Beer comes top as the drink for outdoor occasions (75%), just ahead of wine (69%).
Brian Howard, of Wine Intelligence, said: "This survey provides the most up-to-date and possibly the most comprehensive picture of who drinks what across alcohol categories in the UK. One thing is clear: wine is a strong and stable fixture in UK adult social life."
Recession has been the final straw for First Quench Retailing, owner of Threshers wine stores, but company accounts show the business has been struggling for some time amid a turbulent period for the ...
The future looks bright for wines with a lower alcohol content in the UK, if only someone could decide on what to call them....
Consumers are living longer due to medical advances, better nutrition and improved living conditions. Recent research published in The Lancet suggests that British children born in 2007 could feasibly...
The second conference on alcohol-related harm convened by the Swedish Presidency of the EU included a large representation of NGOs opposed to self-regulation as a way of tackling alcohol-related harm....
Central European Distribution Corporation has posted a huge leap in profits for its third quarter....
Scottish & Newcastle UK has developed a pint glass carrying alcohol unit information for its Foster's lager brand....
Carlsberg is lobbying hard to dissuade Russia's Government from tripling excise tax on beer, ahead of a debate on the proposal in the country's parliament this week....
Recession has hastened a sharp decline in sales at many of Ireland's pubs, bars and restaurants, according to new research, as industry leaders renew their call for 20% cut in duty tax on alcoholic dr...
- Is Diageo on the Brink of a Brain Drain?
- SABMiller edges Diageo as beer trumps spirits
- Will Keurig Kold come to Coca-Cola Co's Rescue?
- Focus - SABMiller's FY Sales Performance by Region
- Focus - Indonesia: Prohibition in Paradise?
- Carlsberg exec joins Diageo as Africa chief steps
- Diageo YTD sales come in flat
- Heineken "concerned" as Indonesia enacts beer ban
- Bacardi hands global advertising to single agency
- Pernod Ricard unveils Havana Club ad campaign
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review