AUSTRALIA: Wine Planet worries as Oz market goes flat
The company, CEO Mark Mezrani said Wine Planet was likely to increase its sales by 20-30% this quarter, while revenues would need to double to about $40m a year to break even.
Richard Turner, the company's chairman, warned: "It would appear that there is a negative consumer sentiment developing which may have an impact on overall retail sales in this country and it is well known that domestic wine demand is down."
However he remained bullish about the company's future. "The inherent scalability of the business should see, once break-even has been reached, very strong growth in profits for each marginal increase in revenue," he said.
Wine Planet's stock has slumped 89% from its record high in February of A$2.50 and there looks like little hope of a short-term recovery.
However, the company still has a healthy cash position due in part to Foster's Brewing Group taking what will eventually be a 25% stake and injecting $50m into the company.
The company blamed the Sydney Olympics, a pre-GST buying surge and very little advertising for the drop in sales over the September quarter. Mezrani said the September drop followed sales in the June quarter of A$1.1m a record for the company.
As well as establishing a UK business, wineplanet.co.uk in October, Wine Planet also has plans to develop new direct wine channels as the economy quietens. It has diversified into off-line sales of wine and food and operates two retail stores in Sydney.
Companies: Foster’s Group Ltd
A revised assessment by Southcorp's independent expert has valued the company's shares closer to the bid value offered by Foster's Group....
Australian liquor giant Foster's bid for winemaker Southcorp is gathering momentum....
As one takeover story trundles on, another one has just moved up a gear....
The chief executive of Foster's believes the global premium wine industry is on the upturn....
Foster's Group Ltd is expected to announce that it is lifting its offer for fellow Australian Southcorp, transforming three months of corporate hostility into a friendly takeover....
Shares in Southcorp and Foster's have been halted from trading, pending an announcement....
Southcorp's share price has dropped below the offer price made by Foster's for the first time today (18 April)....
Foster's Group is considering upping its bid for Southcorp prior to extending its offer once again....
- Job cuts not the whole story at AB InBev - Comment
- Diageo's smart Seedlip sustainability move
- Pernod Ricard Q4/FY 2016 results - Preview
- Why Vietnam is the next beer battleground
- Brown-Forman Q1 2017 results - Preview
- AB InBev to cull 5,500 jobs after SABMiller buy
- CEO Paul Schaafsma set to leave Accolade Wines
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- Heineken unveils new mid-strength lager Heineken 3
- US on-premise at "new normal" - research
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review