CANADA: Wine leapfrogs spirits for first time
Canadians bought more wine than spirits for the first time last year, according to a report from national data agency Statistics Canada.
National wine sales reached C$4.2bn (US$3.8bn) last year compared with C$4bn of spirits sales, the report said.
Beer remains the most popular beverage alcohol in Canada, the report said, with sales up 3.3% to C$8.4bn last year. However, wine sales rose faster, enjoying growth of 6.5%. Spirits sales rose 2.3%.
Quebec accounted for one-third of all wine consumption in Canada with the province buying C$1.4bn worth of wine last year. A significant rise was also noted in Saskatchewan with a 16.5% increase in wine sales.
In this month's Just the Answer interview, managing director of Beam UK Adrian McKeon spoke with Olly Wehring about the future of the Maxxium partnership, Beam's relationship with the notoriously hard...
Whether marketed as non-alcoholic beers or soft drinks, malt-based beverages are expected to grow as a category in the coming years. While the products are finding increasing acceptance among Muslim c...
In spite of intense and mounting consumer interest in environmental issues and sustainable agriculture, organic wine is a comparatively undeveloped area of the market. But, writes Chris Losh, the curr...
US alcohol distributor Glazer's has appointed a president for its Texas operations....
The name of guitar legend Jimi Hendrix is at the centre of an emerging legal battle surrounding its use on a vodka brand....
The Portman Group is to undergo an image overhaul to reflect its role as a drinks industry regulator, the UK body said today (2 March)....
Constellation Brands has warned of "challenges" ahead in fiscal 2008 due to fierce price competition in the UK wine market, the wine glut in Australia and the decision to cut its wine inventories in t...
The price of a glass of wine or beer in Hong Kong looks set to fall after the local government today (28 February) announced a wave of tax cuts....
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review