THAILAND: Wine industry sees boom as Thai economy recovers
Leading members of the Thai wine industry believe that the Thai wine market will rise 30% this year to be worth Bt400m ($10.25m). The biggest market will be in the under-Bt500 per bottle sector ($12).Thai paper The Nation said that the number of wine importers has risen from 15 soon after the 1997 economic crisis to around 60-70 now.The value of total imported wine rose from Bt149m in 1998 to Bt306m last year. However, before the economic woes of 1997 and the devaluation of the Baht, wine sales were worth Bt450m. At this time there were also over 250 importers. From January to April this year, the total wine imported had a value of Bt94m. French wine had the highest market share with 38.8% or Bt36.51m. Italian wine had 11.49% of the market or Bt10.88m.Competition in the market was set to increase, the paper said, as importers increased. Cheaper wine will see the greatest growth as wine importers concentrate on the under-Bt500 sector. "Price is a major factor when consumers make a decision on which bottle to buy. Thais do not have brand loyalty," said one leading importer.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part II
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- Heineken's new range foreshadows craft's future
- Gruppo Campari Q4 & FY 2016 results - Preview
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Heineken hit by Greek compensation claim
- Bacardi takes stake in Ilegal Mezcal
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends