UK: Wine industry must shape up on environment - Direct Wines chief
The wine industry must do more to improve its environmental credentials before it is forced to by authorities, the head of UK-based Direct Wines has warned.
Wine retailers, suppliers and merchants must do more to push a "green agenda" in the industry, said Simon McMurtrie, CEO of Direct Wines, in a panel discussion at yesterday's Wine & Spirit Trade Association conference.
"Most customers think that we're pretty green. Well, we know the truth and the reality is that we're not," he said, citing the cost of glass recycling and transporting wine around the world as two major areas of concern for the industry.
"Whichever government gets in next, they're going to start legislating, or the EU is going to start legislating, around this. That scares me big time," he said.
Jeremy Beadles, CEO of the WSTA, disagreed with the suggestion that the wine industry has been slack on tackling environmental issues.
"I think the environment is one area that we're reasonably on top of," he said at the beginning of his conference speech.
He said the industry has made significant progress on producing lighter glass bottles and also increasing bulk wine shipments, in partnership with the Waste Resources Action Programme (WRAP).
"This is a global agenda and we need to work with our colleagues in the US, Australia and around the world. The next step is getting a global momentum."
The UK Government should freeze duty tax on wine and spirits in its upcoming annual Budget to prevent further job losses in the drinks industry, the Wine & Spirit Trade Association has said....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Category Innovations - Scotch Whisky VII
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- AB InBev unveils Stella Artois three-packs
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China