FRANCE: Wine harvest to rise as market stumbles
France is expecting a wine grape harvest of around 48m hectolitres in 2009, up from 2008 in a tough period for French wine sales at home and abroad.
If correctly predicted, a harvest of 48m hectolitres (hl) would be 5m hl higher than in 2008, yet still below France's five-year average of 51m, according to Government agency FranceAgriMer.
The expected rise comes as French winemakers and merchants face an increasingly tough market.
In France, year-to-date white table wine sales are down 17% by volume on the year before, with red and rosé table wine down a combined 23%, according FranceAgriMer figures up to July. Vins de pays sales by volume are down 4% for whites and 14% for red and rosé, compared to the same period of 2008.
"Exports, for the EU and 'third countries' [non-EU], have seen heavy falls since the beginning of the year," said Jérome Despey, president of FranceAgriMer's wine council. "Sparkling wines and appellation (AOC) wines have been the hardest hit," he added.
French wine exports fell by 15.5% by volume and and 29% by value in the first three months of 2009, compared to same period a year earlier, according to figures released at the Vinexpo wine show in June by UbiFrance, an consultancy group linked to the French Government.
At Vinexpo, the president of French wine firm JeanJean told just-drinks that French wineries must consolidate or face ruin.
From the vineyards of Australia to the boardrooms of the multi-nationals; from job losses and bankruptcies in the UK to the consolidation of the fragmented French sector - few aspects of the world's w...
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Today, it's the Top Ten Most Read Interviews of 2009....
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future