FRANCE: Wine harvest below five-year average
France's 2008 wine harvest is likely to total 45.6m hectolitres, according to the latest estimates published by the Ministry of Agriculture.
This would represent a decline of 2% on the relatively small harvest in 2007, and a drop of 11% on the average annual volume of the past five years.
AOC volumes are expected to fall 2% on 2007 and vins de pays by 12%.
The Ministry attributes the diminutive crop to mediocre growing conditions in a number of regions.
Mild weather, in some cases, did not allow the vines sufficient winter rest, while frosts in early April caused significant damage in the Loire Valley. April and May were damp months with several regions affected by mildew, while hailstorms in July hit some vineyards in south-west France.
As for volume by region, Bordeaux is estimated to fall 4%, while harvests will show a decline in other major growing regions such as the Loire Valley (-17%), Languedoc Roussillon (-6%), Burgundy-Beaujolais (-4%), and the South-East (-5%).
Champagne (+2%) and Alsace (4%) are set to be the only two regions not to record a decline in volumes, the Ministry adds.
Tax hikes have taken centre stage in discussions between the alcohol industry and several national and state governments around the world over the last year. Michelle Russell reports on a global trend...
French wine body the Conseil des Vins de Saint-Emilion (CVSE) is lobbying the Ministry of Agriculture to appeal to France's Council of State over a recent court decision confirming the scrapping of th...
The Conseil Interprofessionnel des Vins de Provence (CIVP) has increased funding to promote rosé wines abroad in 2009....
Trade body the Union des Côtes de Bordeaux (UCB) has created a Côtes de Bordeaux appellation, describing the move as a "revolution in the organisation of Bordeaux appellations."...
- What's so special about Islay anyway? - Comment
- Diageo gets 2016 off to a strong start - Analysis
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- With MegaBrew sorted, is MegaBev next? - Research
- What do Bourbon and craft beer have in common?
- The US is "the first place I look" - Diageo CEO
- Bacardi ups ante in US Havana Club row
- Alcohol industry warning over Kroger plan
- SABMiller hits back in UK corporation tax row
- Suntory bids for Lucozade, Ribena Nigerian network
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research