GLOBAL: Wine firms must unite to pull new consumers - Constellation
The wine industry must unite and push wine as a category in emerging markets if it is to succeed, delegates heard at the London International Wine Fair (LIWF).
Key seminar speaker Troy Christensen, president of Constellation Europe, called for generic bodies to collaborate to promote wine as a category rather than individual brands and countries.
He urged the industry to develop fruit flavoured 'gateway' brands to encourage trial and experimentation.
"Some mystique about wine is helpful but we have swung the pendulum too far," he said. "We also need to stop dumping low quality wine on emerging markets in an attempt to reduce the oversupply."
However, Arend Heijbroek, Rabobank International associate director beverages, warned medium-sized companies not to invest in emerging markets: "For the big guys it's good but smaller companies should develop their current markets, which is less risky," Heijbroek said
Potential markets include India, Mexico, China, South Korea, Brazil, Poland, Turkey and Africa, the seminar concluded.
Constellation Brands' announcement that it could merge or sell parts of its UK and Australian wine business raised more questions than it answered, but the move makes sense in an operating environment...
Wine industry leaders are upbeat about the performance of the wine sector despite a struggling global economy....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Constellation Brands is looking into the possibility of merging a portion of its Australian business with Australian Vintage Ltd. The move is one of a number of opportunities the drinks giant is consi...
Grupo Modelo, the Mexico-based brewer, has survived a slip in beer export volumes to report solid rises in net sales and earnings for the third quarter of 2009....
The European arm of Constellation Brands has readied a consumer competition in time for Christmas for its Stone's Original green ginger wine brand in the UK....
The former CEO of Constellation Brands' international division has joined wine business advisory firm Wine Colleagues....
Constellation Europe has launched an on-pack promotion for its Babycham brand for the Christmas season in the UK....
- Are we about to see a no-alcohol Heineken?
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- A-B InBev's Global Presence - just The Facts
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- Craft more about stories than M&A for Diageo
- Diageo readies "not quite as sincere" Scotch
- The Glenlivet leapfrogs Glenfiddich
- Heineken integrates cider and beer
- “New normal” sees Pernod target premium in China
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Brown-Forman Corporation (BFB) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review