SOUTH AFRICA: Wine farmers are warned about dumping cheap wine
KWV has warned farmers it would take drastic action against any individual or co-operative winery that dumped cheap wine on the market, particularly in developing local markets, at below production cost prices.
"We have helped to abolish the tot system and have been notching up more and more international success. However, another threat has recently presented itself in the form of wine dumped on the market at prices below production costs and in unacceptable packaging," said KWV chairman, Lourens Jonker.
"We cannot allow this to again undermine the industry's image."
"There is no excuse for the presence of such products in our market. I fully support any behaviour aimed at eliminating this damaging practice. It is totally, totally unacceptable for an industry which wants to build an image internationally in the long-term, " said Jonker.
Companies: KWV Ltd
PepsiCo is about to relaunch in South Africa, a market where Coca-Cola has had things entirely its own way for many years. Arnold Kirkby looks at PepsiCo's plans and assesses the impact the company's ...
There's nothing else like it in the just-drinks calendar. Three days, one venue and almost all our contacts, clients and collaborators under one roof. This year's London International Wine & Spirit Fa...
The flavouring scandal that rocked KWV at the end of last year has been the trigger for an upheaval in the way the South African leader will approach winemaking in the future. Chris Brook-Carter spoke...
KWV is launching a new logo and packaging for its KWV Classics range....
South African wine group KWV has appointed a senior winemaker....
Golden Kaan is to launch in the UK....
KWV has revamped its entry level brand in the UK Pearly Bay with a new label and outer packaging....
KWV International has launched the second phase of its assault on the South African market with the introduction of its KWV 3-year-old brandy and Cathedral Cellar and KWV Classic ranges as it expands ...
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Jose Cuervo applies to go public
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends