BRAZIL: Wine exports soar ahead of FIFA World Cup - figures
Brazilian wine producers have benefited from the interest around the FIFA World Cup
Export sales of bottled Brazilian wine have rocketed in the first four months of 2014 ahead of the country hosting the FIFA World Cup.
Trade body Wines of Brasil reported that sales between January and April leapt by 376% year-on-year to US$5.75m. The value of shipments to international markets have already surpassed those of the whole of 2013 by 6.6%, the group said.
Volumes in the four-month period jumped by 292% to 1.4m hectolitres.
Producers appear to have benefited from a special marketing campaign around the World Cup run by Wines of Brasil called “Wake Up the Brazilian in You”, revealed to just-drinks in March.
Holland saw the most impressive growth between January and April, followed by Belgium and the UK. In 2013, the US led the way for export sales, while Paraguay topped the table for volumes.
Roberta Baggio Pedreira, Wines of Brasil's manager, said the World Cup has “helped attract the world’s attention to Brazilian products”.
The average price of a bottle of exported Brazilian wine has also risen in 2014, by 21% to US$4.02.
Pedreira added: “We are not positioning ourselves at the entry level... countries like Chile and Argentina have great competitiveness due to large volumes and lower production costs. Brazilian wine buyers have a greater interest in medium level wines, with good cost benefit.”
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Comment - Beer - Does 'Craft' Work?
- Solving the diet drinks dilemma in the US
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- SABMiller, Meantime Brewing say goodbye to 'craft'
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo opens Johnnie Walker House in Singapore
- Emperador overhauls Whyte & Mackay labels
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Soaring Prosecco sales good for Champagne
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report