US: Wine exports hit new high in 2013 - figures
US wine exports saw strong growth in 2013
Export sales of US wine reached a record US$1.55bn in 2013, up 16.4%, according to latest figures.
The Wine Institute, which represents Californian producers, also reported today (25 February) that US wine export volumes were up 7.5% to 435.2m litres, or 48.4m cases, in the 12 months. Around 90% of US wine exports are from California, according to the trade body.
The European Union’s 28 countries accounted for $617m worth of sales, the largest proportion, up 31% on 2012.
Canada was the next biggest market with export sales up 12% to to $454m.
Exports to China, the US wine industry’s fifth largest market by value, rose by 5.7% to $77.2m Russia recorded the largest increase, with sales up 110% to $11.1m. Taiwan saw the most significant fall with export sales down by 15% to $9.5m.
"Consumers across the globe continue to recognise the quality, diversity and value of California wines, despite significant trade barriers and heavily subsidised foreign competitors," said Wine Institute President & CEO Bobby Koch.
The Wine Institute said it has an “aggressive” global marketing campaign running in 25 countries globally that “communicates California as an aspirational place with beautiful landscapes, iconic lifestyle, great wine and food, and as an environmental leader”.
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- What does Brexit mean for AB InBev's SAB deal?
- The post-Brexit winners and losers - Analysis
- Is there a future for the global beer brand?
- Non-Scotch Whisky Essentials, Part II
- The UK Referendum - just-drinks Live Blog
- Aldi dealt alcohol sales blow in Australia
- Ex-William Grant CEO Stella David re-joins Bacardi
- UK spirits producers braced for Brexit impact
- Maxxium eyes US$1.4bn opportunity in UK spirits
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends