FRANCE: Wine distillation below EU quotas
French wine growers are falling behind in their distillation obligations, according to figures released by the EU.
Brussels has received applications for just 1.5m hectolitres of French wine to be sent for distillation during the 12 months from the 2005 vintage. The figure is a long way below the 2-3m hl recommended by professional bodies as necessary to bring the market into balance.
The industry is blaming the desultory uptake on low subsidy levels. Wineries receive EUR2.48 (US$3.00) per degree of alcohol, per hectolitre. As such, a grower sending 10hl of 11˚ wine for distillation would receive just EUR270.
So far, Spain and Italy have not revealed their levels of distillation for the coming year, but they are both expected to be significantly higher than the French figure, with officials predicting around 5m hl for Italy and 6-7m hl for Spain.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Brasserie Kronenbourg has clarified earlier reports about its entry into the low alcohol beer sector in France....
Costs relating to alcohol abuse in Sweden are on the rise, according to research out this week....
Police in eastern Kenya have said that at least 24 people died on Saturday after drinking illegally produced alcohol....
According to a recently published study, people who drink alcohol may have a lower risk of developing a type of cancer which affects the lymphatic system known as non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL)....
Diageo is calling for facts labels to be placed on alcohol beverages in the US....
Kenyan authorities are to ban beer and spirits advertising from television and billboards in the country, according to a local report late last week....
Post-menopausal women who consume even moderate amounts of alcohol may face an increased risk of breast cancer, according to a comprehensive US study....
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Constellation and Ballast Point's "sticker shock"
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Diageo Australia appoints commercial head
- A-B InBev to "kick the tyres" at Coca-Cola
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Global Wine Market: News and Events September 2015