ITALY: Wine consumption slumps by more than half
Average per capita wine consumption in Italy has dropped by over a half in the last 33 years, according to recent figures. The Italian unit of AC Nielsen said yesterday (4 July) that last year, annual consumption dipped to 49 litres per capita, compared to 110 litres in 1971.
From its survey, the research group noted that 72.3% of Italians aged between 25 and 34 drink wine, with 60.2% of them preferring to consume it in bars and restaurants.
Around 60% of those polled choose their wine according to the brand, with 56% being swayed by price and 51.2% choosing their wine based on the production area, the survey showed.
Having arguably failed to reach their potential in the US, following a phenomenal start in California, the "smoothie" has become a major success story in the UK soft drinks market. So much so, accordi...
The UK market is developing in terms of sales and sophistication. Drawing on up-to-the-minute consumer research, Alex McPhee, Neville Calvert and David Matthews of management consultants, KPMG, examin...
Dairy, functional and premium juices were the winners, water continued to grow, whilst carbonates and squashes lagged behind in the 2004 UK soft drinks race, according to the recently published Britvi...
Constellation Europe said this week that its Hardys wine brand has become the first wine brand in the UK to break sales of 5m cases in a year....
Cerveceria Chile saw its domestic market share leap last month, according to recent figures....
The sale of mineral water at retail level in Switzerland has fallen 10% in the year to May....
Scottish & Newcastle (S&N) has had its rating upgraded....
Carlsberg has renewed its sponsorship with European Champions League winners Liverpool....
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- Diageo, Heineken and NBL in South Africa & Namibia
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Pernod launches pomegranate whisky drink
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research