ITALY: Wine consumption hits record low, exports up - figures
Wine consumption in Italy is at an all-time low
Wine consumption in Italy fell to a record low last year, but exports are at an all-time high, new figures show.
Levels in the country last year dropped by 2% year-on-year in 2012, meaning wine consumption in the last decade has dived by 22%, farmer's group Coldiretti said on Saturday (6 April). The figures mark the lowest level since unification in the 19th Century.
The Italian population consumed 22.6m hectolitres of wine last year, the figures revealed. This compares to 29m hectolitres drunk in the US in 2012, and 30.3m hectolitres in France.
An online survery, conducted by Coldiretti, found that 32% of Italy's population only drink wine on “special occasions”, while 18% have one or two glasses a week. And 6% of respondents said they never drink wine.
However, Italian wine exports hit a record EUR4.7bn (US$6.11bn) in 2012. Italy remains the world's largest exporter of wine, according to Coldiretti, with around one in five bottles produced sold abroad. Exports to Germany, which is the second largest market after the US, rose by 4% last year.
According to figures last month, however, European winemakers lost out in volume terms to US firms in 2012 through exports.
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Can Coca-Cola fuel SABMiller's soft drinks story?
- Is “Craft” the Next Big Thing for Soft Drinks?
- Petropolis Finally Moving into SABMiller's View?
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Diageo confirms Australia abv drops
- Pernod launches online Ballantine's "experiment"
- Global vodka sales slip in 2013 - research
- SABMiller returns to Brazil with Petropolis tie-up
- Smirnoff tops UK shopping list - figures
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018