Wine companies need to consider cider's impact - research
Consumers could be swapping grapes for apples as the cider craze gathers pace
The wine industry needs to come to terms with the fact that cider is not solely a threat to the beer category, according to a new report from Rabobank.
Rabobank's Wine Quarterly Q3 report highlights the growth in demand for cider, especially in 'New World' markets such as North America, South America, Australia and New Zealand.
Rabobank beverage analyst Marc Soccio said: "In the past decade, the cider category has gone a long way to discard its old fashioned image and connect with a new wave of consumers."
The report suggests that the appeal of cider to younger consumers of both genders presents a threat to competing alcohol categories.
"Not unlike the rise of craft beer before it, the recent success of cider producers in tapping into a seemingly ready and growing global market for their products has provided further evidence of rising segmentation within many maturing beverage alcohol markets.
"The impact might still be at the margin, but wine companies need to seriously consider what might lead their current and future consumers astray as cider once again enters the big leagues in key markets at home and abroad," added Soccio.
The start of the summer season in the UK saw a raft of cider campaigns, with some key trends that could roll out to other markets.
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Does alcohol accelerate the onset of dementia?
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Ashwagandha - The next functional drinks trend?
- Moet Hennessy unaffected by LVMH Dior buy
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Distell acquires majority stake in Cruz Vodka
- Portman Group heads to Tesco for new chief exec
- William Grant names Europe & NA Travel Retail head
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends