FRANCE: Wine co-ops seek minimum price deal
France's wine co-operatives are seeking to negotiate a deal with brokers and traders guaranteeing a minimum price paid to producers.
The move comes amid fears this year's abundant harvest - up 23% on 2003 - combined the level of existing stocks and poor export volumes, will result in sharp downward pressures on prices.
Denis Verdier, president of the Vignerons Cooperateurs de France (VCF), which represents 110,000 wine growers, said he was confident a deal could be struck as it was in the best interests of the sector to do so.
The VCF is looking to obtain a minimum price of 45 euro centimes for a litre of table wine in Languedoc-Roussillon, a region where most of the co-ops are located, rising to 49 centimes/litre for vin de pays.
For AOCs, it recommends the price paid to growers be superior to that for vin de pays.
In this month's Just the Answer, Christian Delpeuch, president of the CIVB (Conseil Interprofessionnel du Vin de Bordeaux), discusses how Bordeaux is tackling over-production and innovating to compete...
French farmers have always been a militant group but the grave difficulties facing wine producers have prompted an escalation in the level of disruption and violence which demonstrating growers have b...
French wine producers and traders are for once showing a united front in urging the Government to back a project creating a new appellation of wine: "Vin de Pays de France."...
North Lake Wines, part of Constellation Wines US, and the French wine company Baron Philippe de Rothschild SA have announced the appointment of North Lake Wines as the exclusive importer of Mouton Cad...
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Interview: Distell Vineyards & Estates' CEO
- just Five Years Ago - The Birth of Accolade Wines
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- NPD - DeLeon Tequila's Platinum and Reposado
- Diageo unveils Ciroc in Times Square push
- Beam Suntory appoints chief HR officer
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research