Wine Butter Aimed at Foodies Watching Their Weight?
A Kiwi chemist is developing a wine-flavoured butter for foodies who love flavour, but want to stay healthy.The red wine butter is supposed give diners the best of both worlds - a full fat taste without clogging the arteries.Mark Duxbury, who is leading a team at Auckland University, says the heart-preserving powers of red wine can be combined with butter to give a tasty cooking spread.Tannins in the grape skins, added before processing, counteract the harmful effects of cholesterol-laden butter. Known to improve blood flow, the tannins also add the red wine flavour, and act as a natural preservative because they contain antioxidants.Healthy volunteers are being used to trial the product, with the scientists insisting that the product will not be tested on people with heart disease.Duxbury said he was not claiming that the addition of red wine turned butter into a health food, but that it did reduce the harmful effects of cholesterol and was a tasty, healthier alternative.The team will be working on the product for the next few years. When it is ready to market, they will have to find a name for it - it cannot be sold as butter, which may have only salt added.Clare Blackburn
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Are we kidding ourselves over craft spirits?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Former Pernod Ricard exec joins Wakefield Wines
- Scotch whisky sees sales turn corner - SWA head
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research