CANADA: Wine body warns of jobs threat in EU row
Canadian winemakers have warned that local jobs are under threat after the EU issued a complaint to the World Trade Organisation.
The EU opposes a Canadian measure exempting wines made with 100% Canadian grapes from tax increases. The EU has argued the tax break illegally discriminates against European wines.
Canadian vintners argue that the measure benefits only 5% of domestic retail sales, half of which are sold at wineries.
"This is simply a matter of greed on the part of some of Europe's largest wineries," said Canadian Vintners Association president Dan Paszkowski.
"The Europeans provide more than US$2bn in grape and wine subsidies which ultimately assist European products in entering export markets," he added.
The World Trade Organisation (WTO) has created a disputes panel to rule on the vexed question of whether India's import duties on wines and spirits are so punishing they break WTO rules....
Large drinks companies such as Diageo will be able to continue making vodka from non-traditional ingredients such as grapes, without having to label their products vodka-style drinks, following a Euro...
Argentine wine producers have been granted a stay of execution over their right to sell wines in the European Union (EU) containing malic acid....
The World Trade Organisation has agreed to an EU request to take a closer look at India's taxation of spirits and wines....
The Scotch Whisky Association is toasting a record year for Scotch around the world....
The EU has formally asked the World Trade Organisation to set up an arbitration panel to rule on India's tariff regime for imported wines and spirits....
The Scotch Whisky Association has voiced scepticism at the Indian government's assertion that it wants to find a compromise on the row over the country's tariff regime....
The Indian government has indicated to the EU that the country needs to reform its tariff regime on imported spirits and wine, just-drinks understands....
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- William Grant upgrades Glenfiddich Cask Collection
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends