US: William Grant & Sons to distribute Stolichnaya
The news, announced by SPI last night (12 November), ends months of speculation on who would seal the Stolichnaya contract for the US.
SPI minority shareholder Andrey Skurikhin told just-drinks in August that the group was searching for individual distributors in key markets around the globe. Pernod Ricard terminated its global distribution licence for Stolichnaya following its takeover of Absolut vodka owner Vin & Sprit earlier this year.
UK Scotch whisky group William Grant & Sons "has one of the fastest-growing spirits portfolios in the US," said Skurikhin in a statement last night.
"We are excited to work with their executive team, many of whom have past experience working with our brand."
Stolichnaya is a perfect fit for William Grant, said Simon Hunt, the UK group's president in the US and managing director in North America.
Skurikhin told just-drinks in August that Stolichnaya had around a 5% share of the US vodka market, its most important market, and was recording high single-digit growth rates in the country.
In an added twist to the distribution deal, William Grant & Sons distributes one of Stolichnaya's Russian rivals, Russian Standard vodka, in the UK.
Champagne and Cognac group Rémy Cointreau watched its full-year sales slip by 11.6% this week as demand for premium alcohol continued to drop. Michelle Russell assesses the group's prospects....
Already battling the recession, those attending next week's Tax Free World Association (TFWA) Asia Pacific Exhibition are nervously watching developments in the swine flu outbreak, remembering the adv...
William Grant & Sons has appointed the current MD of Bacardi's travel retail unit as its new group marketing director....
Stolichnaya has been named the official vodka of the 2009 Tribeca Film Festival, to take place 22 April to 3 May in New York....
First Drinks Brands, the distribution business owned by whisky distiller William Grant & Sons, plans to spend GBP40m on marketing this year, following its deal to distribute Remy Cointreau brands in t...
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
William Grant & Sons has extended its distribution agreement with the owner of vodka brand Stolichnaya, SPI Group....
The Charmer Sunbelt Group (CSG) has taken on the distribution of Bacardi USA and Brown-Forman's brands in a handful of states in the US....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- US craft beer to hit saturation soon - Koch
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends