US: William Grant & Sons to distribute Stolichnaya
The news, announced by SPI last night (12 November), ends months of speculation on who would seal the Stolichnaya contract for the US.
SPI minority shareholder Andrey Skurikhin told just-drinks in August that the group was searching for individual distributors in key markets around the globe. Pernod Ricard terminated its global distribution licence for Stolichnaya following its takeover of Absolut vodka owner Vin & Sprit earlier this year.
UK Scotch whisky group William Grant & Sons "has one of the fastest-growing spirits portfolios in the US," said Skurikhin in a statement last night.
"We are excited to work with their executive team, many of whom have past experience working with our brand."
Stolichnaya is a perfect fit for William Grant, said Simon Hunt, the UK group's president in the US and managing director in North America.
Skurikhin told just-drinks in August that Stolichnaya had around a 5% share of the US vodka market, its most important market, and was recording high single-digit growth rates in the country.
In an added twist to the distribution deal, William Grant & Sons distributes one of Stolichnaya's Russian rivals, Russian Standard vodka, in the UK.
Champagne and Cognac group Rémy Cointreau watched its full-year sales slip by 11.6% this week as demand for premium alcohol continued to drop. Michelle Russell assesses the group's prospects....
Already battling the recession, those attending next week's Tax Free World Association (TFWA) Asia Pacific Exhibition are nervously watching developments in the swine flu outbreak, remembering the adv...
William Grant & Sons has appointed the current MD of Bacardi's travel retail unit as its new group marketing director....
Stolichnaya has been named the official vodka of the 2009 Tribeca Film Festival, to take place 22 April to 3 May in New York....
First Drinks Brands, the distribution business owned by whisky distiller William Grant & Sons, plans to spend GBP40m on marketing this year, following its deal to distribute Remy Cointreau brands in t...
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
William Grant & Sons has extended its distribution agreement with the owner of vodka brand Stolichnaya, SPI Group....
The Charmer Sunbelt Group (CSG) has taken on the distribution of Bacardi USA and Brown-Forman's brands in a handful of states in the US....
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research