US: William Grant & Sons to distribute Stolichnaya
The news, announced by SPI last night (12 November), ends months of speculation on who would seal the Stolichnaya contract for the US.
SPI minority shareholder Andrey Skurikhin told just-drinks in August that the group was searching for individual distributors in key markets around the globe. Pernod Ricard terminated its global distribution licence for Stolichnaya following its takeover of Absolut vodka owner Vin & Sprit earlier this year.
UK Scotch whisky group William Grant & Sons "has one of the fastest-growing spirits portfolios in the US," said Skurikhin in a statement last night.
"We are excited to work with their executive team, many of whom have past experience working with our brand."
Stolichnaya is a perfect fit for William Grant, said Simon Hunt, the UK group's president in the US and managing director in North America.
Skurikhin told just-drinks in August that Stolichnaya had around a 5% share of the US vodka market, its most important market, and was recording high single-digit growth rates in the country.
In an added twist to the distribution deal, William Grant & Sons distributes one of Stolichnaya's Russian rivals, Russian Standard vodka, in the UK.
Champagne and Cognac group Rémy Cointreau watched its full-year sales slip by 11.6% this week as demand for premium alcohol continued to drop. Michelle Russell assesses the group's prospects....
Already battling the recession, those attending next week's Tax Free World Association (TFWA) Asia Pacific Exhibition are nervously watching developments in the swine flu outbreak, remembering the adv...
William Grant & Sons has appointed the current MD of Bacardi's travel retail unit as its new group marketing director....
Stolichnaya has been named the official vodka of the 2009 Tribeca Film Festival, to take place 22 April to 3 May in New York....
First Drinks Brands, the distribution business owned by whisky distiller William Grant & Sons, plans to spend GBP40m on marketing this year, following its deal to distribute Remy Cointreau brands in t...
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
William Grant & Sons has extended its distribution agreement with the owner of vodka brand Stolichnaya, SPI Group....
The Charmer Sunbelt Group (CSG) has taken on the distribution of Bacardi USA and Brown-Forman's brands in a handful of states in the US....
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Analysis - Cider's Campaign Gains
- Sustainability in Drinks - Sugar: A Shared Priorit
- Pernod Ricard appoints Absolut Vodka VP
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Beam Suntory to re-package Courvoisier Cognac
- TWE, Pernod hail China-Aus FTA
- Brown-Forman looks to raise US$500m
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beer, 2014 and the future