UK: William Grant & Sons silent on Drambuie bid talk
William Grant said it could not comment
William Grant & Sons has stayed quiet on speculation that it is one of a handful of companies looking to buy Scotch whisky liqueur brand Drambuie.
According to Sky News yesterday (21 July), the Scottish distiller is examining a GBP100m (US$170m) takeover of Drambuie, which is owned by the MacKinnon family trust. The report said William Grant is one of “an initial crop of bidders”.
William Grant and Drambuie representatives declined to comment on the story when contacted by just-drinks today.
However, just-drinks understands from sources close to the situation that William Grant is one of around six companies left in the frame with about two weeks to go before the successful bidder is announced.
According to Sky News, Remy Cointreau is also a possible bidder. The company has yet to respond to a request for comment.
Just-drinks reported in May that the MacKinnon family was aiming to offload Drambuie to a bigger industry player to help the brand “achieve its full potential". Drambuie passed into the MacKinnon family in 1914 and today is produced under an agreement with Suntory-owned Morrison Bowmore.
Writing earlier this year, just-drinks' columnist Ian Buxton highlighted William Grant as a frontrunner for Drambuie because the company “has the scale and finances to absorb the brand without undue strain”.
Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offeri...
Suntory’s surprise takeover of Beam in April 2014 has created the world’s sixth biggest spirits company. Although not currently showing in Euromonitor International data, this profile will look at Sun...
Canadean's "Suntory Holdings Limited: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a compa...
Lucozade Ribena Suntory is set to expand its Lucozade Sport offering in the UK....
Primarily known as a player in Scotch whisky, in recent years William Grant has broadened its portfolio. While a number of these brands have performed well it needs to develop them further. This profi...
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- Beckham, Diageo and the Allure of the VIP Pop-Up
- Interview - William Grant & Sons
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA head - part II
- Diageo, Beckham launch VIP pop-up for Haig Club
- Diageo reveals US$400m Tequila investment
- Pinnacle Vodka, Skinnygirl roll out on ice
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Beam Suntory strikes new Baltics tie-up
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future