UK: William Grant & Sons launches 50 Year Old Glenfiddich
The group said today (30 July) that 50 bottles of the rare whisky will be released globally every year for the next decade. The first batch will be available in the travel retail channel at selected airports within the next two months.
Peter Gordon, William Grant chairman, said: "Staying true to the pioneering spirit of our founder, William Grant, who laid down stocks of whisky for future generations to enjoy, we have consistently planned ahead and have more aged stock than any other distillery."
The group has doubled the price of the whisky, with bottles of 50 Year Old previously advertised on the Glenfiddich website at GBP5,000 each.
In the 1990s, one bottle of Glenfiddich 50 Year Old sold for around GBP35,000 at auction.
Each bottle is decorated in Scottish silver, crafted by Thomas Fattorini, a sixth generation silversmith, and imprinted with William Grant & Sons' own hallmark.
Packaging design cues have been taken from archives that record the Glenfiddich distillery's 120-year history. The hand-blown bottles are individually numbered and presented in hand-stitched, leather-bound cases.
Next to the bottle, a leather bound book details the whisky's history and provides pages for owners to record personal tasting notes for each occasion they enjoy their whisky.
Earlier this month, William Grant & Sons told just-drinks of its confidence in online sales.
Scotch whisky distillers have welcomed news that Scotch will have protected name status in Malaysia and Thailand....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Will Coca-Cola Co’s Dunkin’ Donuts move pay off?
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Analysts upbeat on Pernod Ricard's US success
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- Bacardi rolls out new Oakheart rum packs to US
- SWA's David Frost to leave for foreign office role
- Seedlip eyes global growth with export deal
- Stock Spirits appointments provoke investor unrest
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends