UK: William Grant & Sons FY sales rise, but profits slip
- FY operating profits fall 1.2% to GBP124.8m
- Sales up 1.4% to GBP1.06bn
- 'Core' brand sales up 7%
Full-year sales were up for William Grant & Sons in what it described as a challenging year
UK spirits group William Grant & Sons has seen its full-year sales edge up, but profits fell slightly after what the company described as a “challenging” year.
The privately-owned firm, which owns the Scotch brands Glenfiddich, Grant's and The Balvenie, said that operating profits in 2012 were down by 1.2% at GBP124.8m (US$201.7m). Sales in the period rose by 1.4% to GBP1.06m.
The company’s 'core' brands saw sales increase by 7% year-on-year, it said.
"Whilst the tough global economic conditions made 2012 a challenging year, with consumer confidence in Europe in particular remaining low, the company continued to strengthen its business by investing in core brands and global infrastructure for the long term, which explains the slight reduction in profits," the group said in a statement.
Capital spend rose last calendar year, the company noted, including upgrades to its Glenfiddich and Tullamore D.E.W. visitor centres.
Turning to its non-whisk(e)y brands, the company said Hendrick’s gin had seen “rapid value growth across all regions”. Its spiced rum brand Sailor Jerry also gained exposure through its first TV ad campaign.
- Is Diageo on the Brink of a Brain Drain?
- SABMiller edges Diageo as beer trumps spirits
- Will Keurig Kold come to Coca-Cola Co's Rescue?
- Focus - SABMiller's FY Sales Performance by Region
- Focus - Indonesia: Prohibition in Paradise?
- Rémy Cointreau eyes recovery after Q4 bounceback
- Carlsberg exec joins Diageo as Africa chief steps
- Diageo YTD sales come in flat
- Bacardi hands global advertising to single agency
- Heineken "concerned" as Indonesia enacts beer ban
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review