UK: William Grant buys ex-Seagram rums
The independent whisky company William Grant & Sons, owner of the Glenfiddich brand, has continued the extension of its portfolio beyond its traditional Scotch confines by acquiring three rum brands.
Terms of the deal have not been disclosed.
The acquisition is the second by Grant in almost as many weeks, having bought the number three premium Canadian whisky, Gibson's Finest, from Diageo earlier in the month.
The three rum brands sell about 100,000 cases a year in the UK. Old Vatted Demerara is the most popular dark rum in Scotland, selling 50,000 cases annually.
Vat 19, a leading golden rum brand in Northern Ireland, is distilled by Angostura.
The rums will be marketed and distributed by First Drinks Brands, a UK company jointly owned by Grant's and Bacardi-Martini.
Chris Mason, the managing director of First Drinks Brands, said: "Old Vatted Demerara is a big brand in Scotland and we shall leverage its success north of the border to strengthen our relations with the Scottish trade while building the equity of all the brands in their respective strongholds across the UK."
Diageo is to launch a new global advertising campaign for Smirnoff Ice. The first ad in the global campaign, 'Garden', launches in Great Britain on April 11th on terrestrial and satellite TV. ...
Fideuram Wargny has upgraded its rating of Pernod Ricard to 'buy' from 'hold'. Its analysts argue that the merger talks with Allied Domecq is a catalyst for share growth....
Pernod Ricard is looking to acquire Allied Domecq....
Allied Domecq and Pernod Ricard have both been downgraded....
Diageo has completed another share buyback transaction....
Brown-Forman has restructured its distribution set up for Europe, entering into new agreements for its spirits brands in a number of countries, including Italy, Spain, and Germany....
E&J Gallo has announced a number of appointments within its European division....
Diageo's Smirnoff Signatures line of premixed cocktails is now available nationwide in the US....
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- Beckham, Diageo and the Allure of the VIP Pop-Up
- Interview - William Grant & Sons
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA head - part II
- Diageo, Beckham launch VIP pop-up for Haig Club
- Diageo reveals US$400m Tequila investment
- Pinnacle Vodka, Skinnygirl roll out on ice
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Beam Suntory strikes new Baltics tie-up
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future