INDIA/UK: Whyte & Mackay talks still on, says UB executive
Reports in India claimed today (29 January) that UB's bid to buy Whyte & Mackay had once again reached an impasse over price.
A report in Indian newspaper The Economic Times said Whyte & Mackay had raised its price tag to GBP600m (US$1.2bn), with UB tabling an offer of GBP400m.
However, P. J. Murali, CFO of UB's distilling arm, United Spirits, told just-drinks that negotiations are ongoing and at a "very advanced stage".
"To my mind, we've not hit a hurdle on price. Bilateral discussions are still going on and are at a very advanced stage," Murali said.
UB and Whyte & Mackay began takeover talks last October but those discussions were believed to have hit a snag over the price demanded by Whyte & Mackay's chairman and chief executive Vivian Imerman.
However, in December, industry sources claimed a deal could be finalised by the end of this month as the two sides edged close to an agreement on the value of Whyte & Mackay.
Murali insisted there is "no definite time frame" on how long the takeover talks could last. However, he said UB remained interested in Whyte & Mackay's due to the UK distiller's branded and bulk Scotch whisky businesses.
Murali said: "We are leaders in India and we want to grow globally. Whyte & Mackay is a good opportunity for us."
Beam's acquisition of Teacher's and Laphroaig may not have attracted as much attention as some other elements of the Allied Domecq sell-off but as Michael Cockram, Scotch brand director at Beam Global...
Established as the dominant force in its domestic wines and spirits market and as an exporter to other African countries, South African group Distell is now aiming to raise its profile in global marke...
Whyte & Mackay has reduced its losses in its last fiscal year, according to recently-released accounts....
Whyte & Mackay has attained sole Scotch whisky pouring rights in the official drinks tent at Cowes Week....
The Famous Grouse and Maxxium UK have both signed up Woo Communications as their global marketing communications agency....
Mumbai, the largest city in India, has introduced a 200% tax on imported spirits....
The EU has suspended its WTO panel against India, following India's repeal of discriminatory duties on EU wines and spirits earlier this month....
Chivas Brothers' Scotch whisky brand Ballantine's has become the official sponsor for The Barclays Scottish Open for the next three years....
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirit Market in the Top 5 European Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts