UK: Whyte & Mackay picks up Cockspur rum
Whyte & Mackay gets Cockspur rum in UK
Whyte & Mackay will be the new distributor for Cockspur rum in the UK and Ireland following the brand's split from Blavod Wine & Spirits.
Whyte & Mackay and Cockspur's owner, West Indies Rum Distillery (WIRD), announced their deal today (24 September). It comes less than 24 hours after WIRD and Blavod Wine & Spirits announced the end of their distribution agreement on Cockspur.
Shane Starkey, Whyte & Mackay's commercial director for the UK, said the deal was a win-win: "For us, it allows us greater diversification as we now have premium rums to sit alongside our whiskies and vodkas. For Cockspur, they have the opportunity to tap into our already existing sales network to help them grow further in the UK."
WIRD'S chairman, John Taylor, added: "Whyte & Mackay's proven track record of brand-building and their comprehensive sales structure will give Cockspur a real boost and help ensure that the brand reaches its true potential in the UK market."
The deal is effective from 1 October. WIRD has agreed to pay Blavod an undislcosed fee in return for exiting its previous distribution contract.
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read interviews on just-drinks in 2010....
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Mike’s Hard Lemonade Could Be a Hard Sell
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q4 & FY
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo adds Dubai to Johnnie Walker skyline series
- Asahi Beverages CEO to step down - report
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report