UK: Whyte & Mackay picks up Cockspur rum
Whyte & Mackay gets Cockspur rum in UK
Whyte & Mackay will be the new distributor for Cockspur rum in the UK and Ireland following the brand's split from Blavod Wine & Spirits.
Whyte & Mackay and Cockspur's owner, West Indies Rum Distillery (WIRD), announced their deal today (24 September). It comes less than 24 hours after WIRD and Blavod Wine & Spirits announced the end of their distribution agreement on Cockspur.
Shane Starkey, Whyte & Mackay's commercial director for the UK, said the deal was a win-win: "For us, it allows us greater diversification as we now have premium rums to sit alongside our whiskies and vodkas. For Cockspur, they have the opportunity to tap into our already existing sales network to help them grow further in the UK."
WIRD'S chairman, John Taylor, added: "Whyte & Mackay's proven track record of brand-building and their comprehensive sales structure will give Cockspur a real boost and help ensure that the brand reaches its true potential in the UK market."
The deal is effective from 1 October. WIRD has agreed to pay Blavod an undislcosed fee in return for exiting its previous distribution contract.
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read interviews on just-drinks in 2010....
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018