UK: Whyte & Mackay picks up Cockspur rum
Whyte & Mackay gets Cockspur rum in UK
Whyte & Mackay will be the new distributor for Cockspur rum in the UK and Ireland following the brand's split from Blavod Wine & Spirits.
Whyte & Mackay and Cockspur's owner, West Indies Rum Distillery (WIRD), announced their deal today (24 September). It comes less than 24 hours after WIRD and Blavod Wine & Spirits announced the end of their distribution agreement on Cockspur.
Shane Starkey, Whyte & Mackay's commercial director for the UK, said the deal was a win-win: "For us, it allows us greater diversification as we now have premium rums to sit alongside our whiskies and vodkas. For Cockspur, they have the opportunity to tap into our already existing sales network to help them grow further in the UK."
WIRD'S chairman, John Taylor, added: "Whyte & Mackay's proven track record of brand-building and their comprehensive sales structure will give Cockspur a real boost and help ensure that the brand reaches its true potential in the UK market."
The deal is effective from 1 October. WIRD has agreed to pay Blavod an undislcosed fee in return for exiting its previous distribution contract.
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read interviews on just-drinks in 2010....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- AB InBev fund ZX Ventures buys homebrew co
- Edrington’s The Macallan 40 Year Old - NPD
- CCBA partner "in place by 2018" - Coca-Cola
- Beam Suntory to invest US$1bn in Bourbon
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends