UK: Whyte & Mackay mulls distillery expansion
United Spirits may expand Whyte & Mackay distilleries
A spokesperson for the unit confirmed the possible move when contacted by just-drinks today (2 February). It is unclear which Scotland-based distilleries have been earmarked for expansion, but there is speculation that Invergordon may be one.
"We have created proposals for expansion of two of our existing distilleries, but [they are] proposals only at this stage," the spokesperson said. He declined to comment further.
The proposals come amid growing demand for Scotch whisky worldwide. Exports are poised to report a sixth consecutive record year for 2011, after rising by 23% to GBP3bn (US$4.75bn) in the nine months to the end of September.
Meanwhile, the European Union has made wine and spirits tariffs a priority in bilateral trade talks with India, which means Scotch distillers may get greater access to what is both the home market of Whyte & Mackay's parent firm, and an important emerging market for Scotch in general.
Last month, Vijay Mallya-controlled United Spirits secured shareholder backing to raise US$225m via a bond issue. The company has stressed that funds raised will be used for business development and not to help prop up the ailing Kingfisher Airlines, which also forms part of Mallya's UB group.
Patience Gould is keen to snap you romanticists back into the real world. Brace yourselves......
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Craft, imports near 50% share in US on-trade
- Beam Suntory's Laphroaig Brodir - NPD
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts