UK: Whyte & Mackay fined GBP9,000 over oil spillage
Whyte & Mackay recieved a GBP9,000 fine for the oil spill
Whyte & Mackay has today (16 July) been fined GBP9,000 (US$14,065) after pleading guilty to leaking nearly 20,000 litres of oil into a protected habitat for birds.
The fusel oil spillage happened at the United Spirits-owned firm's Invergordon plant, near Dalmore, last August. The spill ended up in the waters of the Cromarty Firth, an internationally-recognised habitat for birds, including ospreys, whooper swans and greylag geese.
The company pleaded guilty to the offence, a contravention of the Water Environment (Controlled Activities) (Scotland) Regulations 2011, at Tain Sheriff Court.
Craig Harris, head of the wildlife and environment crime unit at the Crown Office and procurator fiscal service said the spillage was "entirely preventable".
He added: "Industry must ensure the proper maintenance of their systems to ensure they meet their environmental obligations."
Harris said the environmental impact was "minimal" but that was "purely down to good fortune".
"There could have been grave consequences if the leak had gone undetected or if it had occurred during the breeding season,” he added.
Whyte & Mackay said in a statement: "We accept full responsibility and apologise profusely for the incident.
"The company was investing in a rolling programme of improvements in the area of the spill when the incident happened, and we had just finished a major refurbishment of the adjacent area.
"As a result of the incident we are investing significantly in the infrastructure to ensure this does not happen again."
Of course, we all knew it was going to happen. Didn't we? Since almost exactly four years ago, when United Spirits and Diageo confirmed that they were discussing a partnership in India, it was alwa...
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read Hot Topics on just-drinks in 2012....
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Sustainability - Walking the Walk on Water
- Analysis - The Value of Prosecco
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Belvedere proposes name change
- Brown-Forman eyes family ties with board additions
- Castel acquires stake in Belvedere
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review