Exclusive - UK: Whyte & Mackay appoints former Diageo exec as CEO
Whyte & Mackay has appointed a new CEO to replace John Beard
Bryan Donaghey, who until earlier this year was MD of Diageo Scotland, started in the role on Monday this week, the Glasgow-based group confirmed today (18 September). Earlier this week, it emerged that Donaghey had quit Diageo.
Donaghey had moved roles to strategy supply director at the global drinks group, after an overhaul of Diageo's UK operations, announced in March. Diageo said this week that Donaghey had “severed” his employment with the company.
He replaces John Beard as W&M's CEO, after Beard's departure was confirmed last month. No explanation was given for Beard leaving the group.
The future ownership of W&M remains in doubt. Earlier this year, Diageo became the major shareholder in W&M's parent company United Spirits. However, the UK's Office of Fair Trading is currently examining the deal in terms of how it will affect competiton in the region. Analysts have speculated that W&M could be sold off.
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research