UK: Whyte & Mackay announces CEO switch
Whyte & Mackay has appointed a new CEO.
The Scotch whisky firm, which was bought by India's UB Group in 2007, said today (24 March) that John Beard started in the new position yesterday, replacing Ashwin Malik, who is returning to India.
Beard joins Whyte & Mackay from Bacardi Brown Forman, where he spent the last three years as UK CEO. Prior to this role, Beard spent 19 years working in a variety of sales, marketing and general management roles at Bacardi. His last position before leaving Bacardi was as regional director for Eastern Europe, which included covering the firm's travel retail operations.
"I have met with (UB Group chairman) Dr Mallya personally, and there is no doubt in my mind that he is committed to this company, committed to building great premium brands, and committed to making Whyte & Mackay a major international spirits company," said Beard. "I am looking forward to doing my bit to help that become a reality."
Malik added: "I have enjoyed my time here in Scotland and have met many wonderful people, but the time is right to return to India with my family."
Beard's appointment follows the appointment in January of Nick Garland, who joined the company as global sales and marketing director from Beam Global.
Speculation grew earlier this month that The UB Group was looking to sell off Whyte & Mackay in its entirety, but Whyte & Mackay declined to comment on the reports.
Whyte & Mackay, the Scotch whisky group owned by India's United Spirits, may cut its deal to supply bulk Scotch whisky to Diageo in favour of more lucrative contracts with smaller distillers....
Whyte & Mackay is offering consumers the chance to have a Scotch whisky distilled to their personal tastes....
The long-running discussions between the world's largest spirits maker, Diageo, and India's United Spirits over a possible stake purchase collapsed this week. Michelle Russell examines the fallout....
In 1996, Hangzhou Wahaha Group Co, a leading beverage producer in China, began a joint venture with Danone Group to form five new subsidiaries....
United Spirits, the Indian spirits giant owned by billionaire Vijay Mallya, is closing on a deal to raise fresh finance from outside investors as part of the firm's deleveraging plan, just-drinks unde...
Bacardi has announced the appointment of a new regional manager in its global travel retail division....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Patrón Spirits has secured three further listings for its namesake Tequila brand in the travel retail channel....
- Are we kidding ourselves over craft spirits?
- What's behind Brown-Forman's Irish whiskey plans?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- How good a sustainability fit are ABI and SAB?
- Interview - Heineken global activation director
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- Chandon to become "third pillar brand" for MH
- Brown-Forman silent on Southern Comfort report
- Pay freeze anger threatens Carlsberg UK site
- Stoli appoints international marketing director
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research