CHINA: Wholesaler sent to prison over "fake" Scotch whisky
The case was the first prosecution in China involving the term Scotch whisky
A wholesaler in China has been given a four-year prison sentence for selling “fake” Scotch whisky in the country's first case centered on the term 'Scotch'.
LI Cuihong, a wholesaler from Urumqi, was also handed a GBP50,000 (US$79,100) fine after legal action was brought by the Scotch Whisky Association (SWA). Chuihong was prosecuted for distributing products labelled as Scotch whisky, which were instead unaged Chinese spirits, the SWA said today (25 January).
Lindesay Low, the SWA's legal adviser for China, noted that the country is a “growing market” for Scotch. “Unfortunately, its popularity also makes the production and sale of fake Scotch whisky a lucrative pursuit,” he said.
“The Chinese authorities are very supportive in the fight against fakes and this case shows they are willing to crack down on those involved.”
It is the first time the Scotch whisky trademark in China has been used to bring a criminal case in the country, the SWA said. Previous prosecutions have involved the misuse of company trademarks.
Cuihong had previously served a prison sentence for selling illegal spirits, the SWA said.
The group last month won a long-running trademark dispute involving a whisky-like drink in New Zealand.
The headlines today (3 May) may suggest that minimum unit pricing is on its way in Scotland. But, for those in our industry who oppose the proposal, there's no need to panic yet. There's still a way t...
The UK Coalition Government has officially abandoned plans to introduce minimum unit pricing for alcohol in England and Wales....
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Pernod Ricard's FY fiscal-2015 - Preview
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Pernod Ricard releases social medial guide
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research