UK: Whitbread may lose exclusive rights to Heineken in UK
Whitbread may lose its licence agreement with Heineken to place the Dutch brewer's core brand in its UK pub chain.Industry sources say Heineken has "lost patience" with Whitbread's handling of the brand and "unhappy with the sales figures" generated by Whitbread's retail chains. This is the reason for Whitbread's sudden launch of its new GB lager brand to replace Heineken if the contract is not renewed, sources say.A Whitbread spokesman said: "We never talk about our outside business arrangements. I can not comment on whether any re-negotiations with Heineken are taking place." Whitbread's decision to begin marketing a new brand was "to bridge the gap in the company's portfolio for a standard lager," he said. "No-one has yet branded the key element of Britishness and it has one of the most amazing bar-tops. It is very exciting," he added.GB will have an 4% abv, above Heineken Cold Filter's 3.5% abv, and will be priced "competitively" within the standard lager range. Cold Filter is brewed exclusively for the UK market.A Heineken spokesman reiterated Whitbread's stance that external agreements remain private. "This is all pure speculation," he said. What surprises some analysts, however, is the timing. With rumours of a possible demerger of its beer interests and, allegedly, investment bank Dresden Kleinwort Benson now searching for buyers, why would Whitbread wish to launch a lager into an already saturated market. "Whitbread definitely needs a brand in this sector, but it does seem like diversionary tactics from the bigger picture," said an analyst from a US investment bank.DKB has refused to deny or confirm its involvement. Whitbread Beer Company has been priced at £400m but many in the industry believe this is far too high. Estimates are its true worth is no more than £150m.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- Focus - Coca-Cola's Q1 Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Africa "subdued" but Heineken sees Q1 rises
- Elements 8 revamps rum packaging
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report