UK: Whitbread and Bass to Quit Brewing
British leisure group Whitbread is reported to be about to sell its brewing business to its Belgian rival, Interbrew, for an estimated £400-450m. Whitbread's brewing assets include Boddingtons, Flowers, Mackeson, Murphy's and Wadworth 6X. Interbrew has refused to confirm or deny the report. A spokesman said: "If an agreement has been reached then it will be communicated. That applies also with any so-called pending problems, when they have been solved." It is understood complex legal problems could delay any announcement of a deal. Family-owned Interbrew, which plans to float by the end of the year, already licenses Whitbread to brew its flagship Stella Artois lager in Britain. The report comes as Whitbread is preparing to launch a new lager - "GB" - made exclusively from British ingredients.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Pernod Ricard's FY fiscal-2015 - Preview
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Pernod Ricard releases social medial guide
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research