UK: Whisky to benefit from Russia WTO membership, predicts SWA
Distillers should see a boost from Russia joining the WTO
Whisky producers will get a boost from Russia joining the World Trade Organisation (WTO) as it will create a more "stable" business environment, a trade body has claimed.
David Williamson, the Scotch Whisky Association's deputy director of international affairs, welcomed the news that Russia joined the WTO on Wednesday (22 August) after 18 years of negotiations. "This matters to Scotch whisky distillers because the agreement delivers real benefits," he said.
A 30% reduction of the whisky tariff should be in place by 2015, Williamson added.
The WTO's dispute settlement system will also be open to both sides to resolve disagreements, he said. "This will, hopefully, create a more predictable and stable business environment in Russia," Williamson said.
However, he warned that Russia's regulatory situation "remains fluid and complex". But he added the SWA will "continue to push for a more transparent operating environment".
Williamson concluded: "It (Russia) is an exciting and growing market. Industry experts consistently predict that volumes should double over the next three years given the appeal of Scotch whisky to increasingly affluent consumers."
The international scope of the Scotch whisky sector and its strong growth in emerging markets has allowed the market to continue growing in spite of the global downturn. However, as a new just-drinks/...
The UK Government is reviving a TV advertising campaign urging people to lower their alcohol intake....
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- 5 reasons why Constellation's Meiomi buy works
- NPD: The Clear Soft Drink Trend is Back
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Pernod Ricard allays Havana Club shortage fears
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research