UK: Whisky distillery winding down production
Scotland will soon see another whisky distillery close, when the Macadam distillery in Angus, begins to wind down its production this week.In the past 20 years the industry has seen more than 12,000 job losses and some 18 months ago the whisky business hit upon hard times with a slump in three export markets.Deemed as "uncool" in the UK and US, whisky is growing in popularity in the trendy bars and clubs in southern European countries, and overall malts are doing better than blends and luxury brands.But, with exports amounting to more than £2 billion annually, whisky is still one of the most important industries in Scotland and Alan Gray of Charterhouse Securities believes exports and production should begin to rise, by 1.5% next year.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Category Trends - Scotch Whisky V
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends