UK: Whisky distillery winding down production
Scotland will soon see another whisky distillery close, when the Macadam distillery in Angus, begins to wind down its production this week.In the past 20 years the industry has seen more than 12,000 job losses and some 18 months ago the whisky business hit upon hard times with a slump in three export markets.Deemed as "uncool" in the UK and US, whisky is growing in popularity in the trendy bars and clubs in southern European countries, and overall malts are doing better than blends and luxury brands.But, with exports amounting to more than £2 billion annually, whisky is still one of the most important industries in Scotland and Alan Gray of Charterhouse Securities believes exports and production should begin to rise, by 1.5% next year.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- This week in spirits & wine
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Craft, imports near 50% share in US on-trade
- Beam Suntory's Laphroaig Brodir - NPD
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts