UK: Whisky distillery winding down production
Scotland will soon see another whisky distillery close, when the Macadam distillery in Angus, begins to wind down its production this week.In the past 20 years the industry has seen more than 12,000 job losses and some 18 months ago the whisky business hit upon hard times with a slump in three export markets.Deemed as "uncool" in the UK and US, whisky is growing in popularity in the trendy bars and clubs in southern European countries, and overall malts are doing better than blends and luxury brands.But, with exports amounting to more than £2 billion annually, whisky is still one of the most important industries in Scotland and Alan Gray of Charterhouse Securities believes exports and production should begin to rise, by 1.5% next year.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo rolls out vegan Baileys Almande Almondmilk
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends