UK: Whisky distillery winding down production
Scotland will soon see another whisky distillery close, when the Macadam distillery in Angus, begins to wind down its production this week.In the past 20 years the industry has seen more than 12,000 job losses and some 18 months ago the whisky business hit upon hard times with a slump in three export markets.Deemed as "uncool" in the UK and US, whisky is growing in popularity in the trendy bars and clubs in southern European countries, and overall malts are doing better than blends and luxury brands.But, with exports amounting to more than £2 billion annually, whisky is still one of the most important industries in Scotland and Alan Gray of Charterhouse Securities believes exports and production should begin to rise, by 1.5% next year.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Much Work to do on Packaging in the US
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Tough US hits Mast-Jagermeister volumes in 2014
- George Clooney launches Tequila Casamigos in UK
- Pernod Ricard's Havana Club Union
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report