GLOBAL: Whisk(e)y volumes up in 2013 after Europe, Africa boost - figures
Whisk(e)y volumes increased despite slowdowns in China and India
Growing consumption in Europe and Africa kept global whisk(e)y volumes on the rise last year, but slowdowns in India and China affected the overall spirits category, according to new figures.
Whisk(e)y - including Scotch and non-Scotch - was the largest-growing spirits category in volume terms in 2013, up 2.3% to 361m nine-litre cases, according to IWSR research released today (10 June). It was whisk(e)y's first year of growth in Europe since 2007, while the spirit was the fastest-growing category in Africa.
Last week, it was announced that Diageo's Johnnie Walker Scotch had retained its place at the top of the Power 100 list this year, while Brown-Forman's Jack Daniel's also made the top 10, reflecting Bourbon's growing global popularity.
However, whisk(e)y's growth only just offset declines in other spirits categories. Overall spirits volumes last year remained flat at 3.09bn cases. Rum fell by 4.5m cases to 145.6m, while vodka increased by just 2.3m cases to 496.3m.
IWSR blamed the overall flat performance for spirits on slowdowns in China and India, where volumes increased by only 0.8% and 1.2% respectively.
This was “significantly slower than the double-digit growth seen in previous years”, IWSR said.
Europe posted the biggest decline for spirits overall, falling by 2.2m cases to 291m cases. Spain lost about 900,000 cases, while the German market also contracted.
Meanwhile, beer grew globally by 85.6m cases thanks to consumption rising by more than 230m cases in Asia-Pacific. The main growth came from China, IWSR said.
Last year, the IWSR said 38% of global spirits consumption was in China in 2012.
Here's a confession I feel I should make - I only have 177 Twitter followers. Why am I telling you this? It's got something to do with a dinner event in London this week, where I witnessed a public re...
Brown-Forman Corporation - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service...
Diageo plc - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offerings and...
Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has been compiled by GlobalData...
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Comment - IPO Launch a Tonic for Fever-Tree
- Fireball Recall: Putting Out Fire with Anti-Freeze
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- NPD - Moët Hennessy’s Glenmorangie Dornoch
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- Pernod blames rule changes for Plymouth GI drop
- William Grant unveils bespoke Glenfiddich website
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research