S KOREA: Whisk(e)y sales slump in first-half - report
Whisk(e)y sales have been affected by the slowdown, it has been suggested
Industry data has revealed that sales in the six months to the end of June fell by 13.5% to 916,745 cases, Yonhap News Agency reported. One case is the equivalent of 18 bottles of 50cl of whisk(e)y, according to the figures.
The drop was due to consumers choosing “lighter and cheaper” drinks in the face of South Korea's slowing economy, according to industry observers.
Diageo saw sales of its Windsor blended Scotch brand drop by 20.4% year-on-year to 309,851 cases. Meanwhile, sales of Pernod Ricard Korea's Imperial Scotch brand fell by 20.6%. ScotchBlue, owned by South Korea's Lotte Chilsung Beverage Co, also fell, by 13.8%.
However, Lotte Chilsung's other whisk(e)y brand, Golden Blue, saw its sales more than double in the half-year, hitting 64,937 cases.
To read just-drinks' exclusive focus on Pernod's spirits footprint in Asia, click here.
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
With recent claims that China has become the world's biggest consumer of red wine, Chris Losh considers what wine producers can learn from the current travails facing international spirits companies i...
Business Monitor International's France Food and Drink Report provides industry professionals and strategists, corporate analysts, food and drink associations, government departments and regulatory bo...
The flavoured vodka category has been a growth engine of the spirits sector for some time, but new research from just-drinks suggests that the sub-category no longer represents the easy route to growt...
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts