S KOREA: Whisk(e)y sales slump in first-half - report
Whisk(e)y sales have been affected by the slowdown, it has been suggested
Industry data has revealed that sales in the six months to the end of June fell by 13.5% to 916,745 cases, Yonhap News Agency reported. One case is the equivalent of 18 bottles of 50cl of whisk(e)y, according to the figures.
The drop was due to consumers choosing “lighter and cheaper” drinks in the face of South Korea's slowing economy, according to industry observers.
Diageo saw sales of its Windsor blended Scotch brand drop by 20.4% year-on-year to 309,851 cases. Meanwhile, sales of Pernod Ricard Korea's Imperial Scotch brand fell by 20.6%. ScotchBlue, owned by South Korea's Lotte Chilsung Beverage Co, also fell, by 13.8%.
However, Lotte Chilsung's other whisk(e)y brand, Golden Blue, saw its sales more than double in the half-year, hitting 64,937 cases.
To read just-drinks' exclusive focus on Pernod's spirits footprint in Asia, click here.
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
With recent claims that China has become the world's biggest consumer of red wine, Chris Losh considers what wine producers can learn from the current travails facing international spirits companies i...
Since the great recession of 2008/2009 Diageo has transformed itself, primarily through acquisition, from being overly focused on mature markets to a more balanced geographic split and if, as seems li...
The flavoured vodka category has been a growth engine of the spirits sector for some time, but new research from just-drinks suggests that the sub-category no longer represents the easy route to growt...
Some interesting developments have been occuring within the Vodka category since the publication of our previous global market review of the category....
Business Monitor International's France Food and Drink Report provides industry professionals and strategists, corporate analysts, food and drink associations, government departments and regulatory bo...
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Comment - Beer - Does 'Craft' Work?
- Solving the diet drinks dilemma in the US
- SABMiller, Meantime Brewing say goodbye to 'craft'
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo opens Johnnie Walker House in Singapore
- Emperador overhauls Whyte & Mackay labels
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Soaring Prosecco sales good for Champagne
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report