S KOREA: Whisk(e)y sales slump in first-half - report
Whisk(e)y sales have been affected by the slowdown, it has been suggested
Industry data has revealed that sales in the six months to the end of June fell by 13.5% to 916,745 cases, Yonhap News Agency reported. One case is the equivalent of 18 bottles of 50cl of whisk(e)y, according to the figures.
The drop was due to consumers choosing “lighter and cheaper” drinks in the face of South Korea's slowing economy, according to industry observers.
Diageo saw sales of its Windsor blended Scotch brand drop by 20.4% year-on-year to 309,851 cases. Meanwhile, sales of Pernod Ricard Korea's Imperial Scotch brand fell by 20.6%. ScotchBlue, owned by South Korea's Lotte Chilsung Beverage Co, also fell, by 13.8%.
However, Lotte Chilsung's other whisk(e)y brand, Golden Blue, saw its sales more than double in the half-year, hitting 64,937 cases.
To read just-drinks' exclusive focus on Pernod's spirits footprint in Asia, click here.
With recent claims that China has become the world's biggest consumer of red wine, Chris Losh considers what wine producers can learn from the current travails facing international spirits companies i...
The flavoured vodka category has been a growth engine of the spirits sector for some time, but new research from just-drinks suggests that the sub-category no longer represents the easy route to growt...
- How Treasury is rewriting the rule book - Comment
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- Drinkable yogurt - The next drinks opportunity
- Has Diet Coke passed its sell-by date? - Comment
- Coca-Cola India suspends bottling operations
- Diageo brands need "fixing and nurturing" - TWE
- SAB shareholders granted AB InBev vote split
- This week in wine & spirits on just-drinks
- Spirits volumes slide in Global Travel Retail
- Pernod Ricard wins Ron Matusalem 'Cuba' legal row
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages