S KOREA: Whisk(e)y sales slump in first-half - report
Whisk(e)y sales have been affected by the slowdown, it has been suggested
Industry data has revealed that sales in the six months to the end of June fell by 13.5% to 916,745 cases, Yonhap News Agency reported. One case is the equivalent of 18 bottles of 50cl of whisk(e)y, according to the figures.
The drop was due to consumers choosing “lighter and cheaper” drinks in the face of South Korea's slowing economy, according to industry observers.
Diageo saw sales of its Windsor blended Scotch brand drop by 20.4% year-on-year to 309,851 cases. Meanwhile, sales of Pernod Ricard Korea's Imperial Scotch brand fell by 20.6%. ScotchBlue, owned by South Korea's Lotte Chilsung Beverage Co, also fell, by 13.8%.
However, Lotte Chilsung's other whisk(e)y brand, Golden Blue, saw its sales more than double in the half-year, hitting 64,937 cases.
To read just-drinks' exclusive focus on Pernod's spirits footprint in Asia, click here.
With recent claims that China has become the world's biggest consumer of red wine, Chris Losh considers what wine producers can learn from the current travails facing international spirits companies i...
The flavoured vodka category has been a growth engine of the spirits sector for some time, but new research from just-drinks suggests that the sub-category no longer represents the easy route to growt...
- Pernod Ricard 's first-half results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard's H1 performance by region - Focus
- Heineken's FY performance by region - Focus
- Forget Baby Boomers at your peril - Consumer Trend
- Carlsberg's full-year performance by region
- Asahi Group lines up Grolsch, Meantime, Peroni buy
- Pernod Ricard targets US through unit, exec switch
- William Grant & Sons' Ailsa Bay - NPD
- Asahi Group to buy Grolsch, Peroni from SABMiller
- Half-year sales lift for Pernod Ricard
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research