AUS: Westons to re-launch "sweeter" Premium cider
The company is looking to make more inroads in the Australian market
Westons is relaunching its Westons Premium export cider brand in Australia with a sweeter taste to better suit consumer tastes in the country.
The Herefordshire-based producer has signed an exclusive deal with Western Australia brewer Gage Roads, which will bottle and keg the new 4.5% abv variant. Westons Premium, the company's export-only brand, is already sold in Australia but the relaunch will significantly step-up its exposure in the country.
The company has also agreed an exclusive deal with a national Australian retailer to stock the brand, with the identity of the retailer expected to be revealed this week.
Speaking exclusively to just-drinks today (10 October), Westons' commercial director Roger Jackson said the new version of Westons Premium will be "slightly sweeter to suit Australian palates".
He added: “Since beginning trading in Australia 12 months ago, we've seen the cider category continue to flourish and develop.
“Our portfolio of English ciders has been outperforming category growth and, by forging this new positive relationship, consumers will be able to to enjoy Westons cider in even more outlets.”
The standard version of Westons Premium is sold in selected European and Asian markets.
Westons exports its brands to 40 markets globally, with Finland its biggest market, followed by Germany and Australia.
Earlier this year, Jackson told just-drinks that cider has the opportunity to make a breakthrough in China.
Sectors: Beer & cider
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- How Treasury is rewriting the rule book - Comment
- Drinkable yogurt - The next drinks opportunity
- Coca-Cola India suspends bottling operations
- Has Diet Coke passed its sell-by date? - Comment
- Diageo brands need "fixing and nurturing" - TWE
- SAB shareholders granted AB InBev vote split
- Diageo's Guinness Rye Pale Ale - NPD
- Craft Brew Alliance poised for AB InBev takeover?
- Pernod Ricard wins Ron Matusalem 'Cuba' legal row
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages