UK/AUS: Westons sees strong Australia sales, but urges tighter labelling laws
Westons has seen impressive volume growth in Australia
Cider producer Westons has reported strong growth in its largest branded export market, Australia, but flagged up concerns over the lack of category labelling laws in the country.
The UK-based group saw year-on-year volumes to the end of February rise by 40% in Australia, with the country now accounting for 17% of its international sales. During a media presentation in London today (26 March), Westons' commerical director, Roger Jackson, said: “Australia is enjoying staggering growth. The sector is being driven by premium products and fruit styles.”
The company has been selling cider in Australia since 2005 and set up a subsidiary, Westons World Brands, in 2012.
However, Jackson pointed to the issue of “fake alco-pop style cider” being sold in Australia. He highlighted a flavoured cider that Westons is selling in the country called Cheeky Rascal, which he said contains “natural ingredients, no concentrates and no flavourings”. But, he said: “Not all ciders (in Australia) are like Cheeky Rascal.”
Jackson also flagged that trade body Cider Australia has committed to get the country’s labelling laws strengthened by the federal government. Quoting Cider Australia’s new president, Sam Reid, he said: “At the moment, it is not possible to tell what is in a beverage labelled cider - a lot of popular 'ciders' contain nothing but artificial flavours and sweeteners, allowing them to be sold quite cheaply.
“It is important that there is credibility in the labelling laws to allow consumers to make informed choices on the products they drink.”
Jackson compared Australia to the UK, in terms of where growth is coming from in the category. Premium ciders now account for a third of category volumes in the UK, while non-apple and pear ciders are also performing strongly in the region. Last year, total UK cider sales were up 6.2% in value terms, Jackson said.
Australia Cider Market Insights 2013
Comprising of textual analysis and data tables, this in-depth and exclusive country report from Canadean provides a comprehensive view of the cider industry structure including analysis and profiles o...read more
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- Comment - A New Age of VR Marketing?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- CCE head shines light on price talks
- Interview: Head brewer at Hall & Woodhouse
- Diageo considers wine operations sale
- NPD: Bacardi's Bacardi Carta Fuego
- A-B InBev approves new chairman
- Coca-Cola Co promotes North America chief
- Bacardi widens Craigellachie footprint to Asia
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo Plc in Wine (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets