UK/AUS: Westons looks to boost sales after World Brands Australia buy-out
Westons says the Australian market is growing
UK cider maker Westons hopes its first international acquisition will treble its sales in the growing Australian market and pave the way for further expansion.
The company announced yesterday (15 October) that it has purchased World Brands Australia (WBA), a long-running distributor for Westons, based in Melbourne. No financial details of the deal were disclosed.
WBA will change its name to Westons World Brands and be headed up by Westons' commercial director, Roger Jackson.
“The taste profile is slightly different in Australia as they prefer slighter sweeter products, but because it's an established cider market the educational process is less there,” Lewis said.
“There are a lot of expats, a lot of people who understand what cider is about. Combine that with the hot climate and a refreshing product, and you have something that ticks a number of boxes.”
Cider has increased its market share in Australia by 0.8% in the 12 months up to February, according to Nielsen figures cited by Westons, and is a major international market for Heineken's Strongbow and C&C Group's Magners.
“That's a big growth plan, to make Germany work for us as well,” he said.
A study last week found that cider shoppers are more likely to shun market-leading brands than other consumers.
Reports today claiming that Diageo's public offer to up its stake in United Spirits is doomed to failure should be taken in some sort of context....
In the second part of this analysis of the European Union's review of its strategy to combat alcohol harm across the region, EurActiv details the issues that have to be considered....
The third and final part of EurActiv's analysis of the European Union's alcohol harm reduction strategy focuses on the different positions being taken on different issues in different regions....
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- This week in spirits & wine
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Craft, imports near 50% share in US on-trade
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts