UK: Westons buys Gold Label cider brand from Heineken
Click through to view the GL logo
Westons is reviving cult cider brand Gold Label (GL) after acquiring the rights from Heineken.
The 4% abv cider was taken out of distribution in 2010. But Geoff Bradman, Westons UK sales head, told just-drinks today (26 October) that a deal with Heineken to take the rights has been completed this week.
Financial details of the deal are not being disclosed, Bradman said.
GL was previously only available in the on-trade in three UK counties - Herefordshire, Worcestershire and Gloucestershire - and this will remain.
Bradman said the company is "very excited" by the prospect. "GL has been an important part of the regional culture in the three counties and we’re proud to bring it back to those that like to call it their own.”
Westons said the relaunched GL is "faithful" to the original recipe, but features new branding to give it a "contemporary twist".
In this month's management briefing, Ben Cooper looks at the alcoholic drinks industry's attempts to reduce alcohol harm and promote responsible consumption. Part one of this four-part briefing consid...
In the second part of this analysis of the European Union's review of its strategy to combat alcohol harm across the region, EurActiv details the issues that have to be considered....
The third and final part of EurActiv's analysis of the European Union's alcohol harm reduction strategy focuses on the different positions being taken on different issues in different regions....
- What's so special about Islay anyway? - Comment
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- Aus wine industry pays price for past failures
- Ten things to know about spirits in the US
- What do Bourbon and craft beer have in common?
- Alcohol industry warning over Kroger plan
- SABMiller hits back in UK corporation tax row
- Diageo's Orphan Barrel The Gifted Horse - NPD
- Suntory bids for Lucozade, Ribena Nigerian network
- American rye whiskey sales leap 600% in five years
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research