UK: Westons buys Gold Label cider brand from Heineken
Click through to view the GL logo
Westons is reviving cult cider brand Gold Label (GL) after acquiring the rights from Heineken.
The 4% abv cider was taken out of distribution in 2010. But Geoff Bradman, Westons UK sales head, told just-drinks today (26 October) that a deal with Heineken to take the rights has been completed this week.
Financial details of the deal are not being disclosed, Bradman said.
GL was previously only available in the on-trade in three UK counties - Herefordshire, Worcestershire and Gloucestershire - and this will remain.
Bradman said the company is "very excited" by the prospect. "GL has been an important part of the regional culture in the three counties and we’re proud to bring it back to those that like to call it their own.”
Westons said the relaunched GL is "faithful" to the original recipe, but features new branding to give it a "contemporary twist".
In this month's management briefing, Ben Cooper looks at the alcoholic drinks industry's attempts to reduce alcohol harm and promote responsible consumption. Part one of this four-part briefing consid...
In the second part of this analysis of the European Union's review of its strategy to combat alcohol harm across the region, EurActiv details the issues that have to be considered....
The third and final part of EurActiv's analysis of the European Union's alcohol harm reduction strategy focuses on the different positions being taken on different issues in different regions....
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- It's not all bad for Diageo - Analysis
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Brand
- Diageo upbeat on Scotch prospects
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Tesco pulls small carton-size Ribena, Rubicon, Cap
- Whyte & Mackay brings RumChata to UK
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research