US/UK: West Coast wine producers team up for London tasting
West Cost producers will join forces for the one-day event
The US wine regions of California, Oregon and Washington state are set to combine their annual UK tastings into a new single one-day event in Central London next year.
The Go West! tasting will take place at the QEII Conference Centre in Westminster on Monday, March 17. Washington and Oregon have previously held their own separate tastings in January.
It follows a similar move by South African, Chilean and Argentinian producers who collaborated earlier this year for a one-day tasting event under the banner ‘The Beautiful South’.
John McLaren, Wine Institute of California’s UK director, said the decision was a “no-brainer”. “Pressure on people’s time and budgets means that one tasting, in one place, at one time makes great sense for wineries, importers and trade buyers.”
He later told just-drinks: “The concept has been something we’ve been thinking about for a long time. The fact is budgets are limited, because we are largely supported by the federal government, not the wineries. I think the event will be well supported.”
Rob Andersen, Washington State Wine Commission's marketing director, said: “There is good enthusiasm from Washington State wine folks for the collaboration, so we're looking forward to a great new London event.”
Oregon Wine Board’s marketing director, Dewey Weddington, said: “We have built momentum for Oregon wines in the UK over the past seven years and it seems like it’s the right time to take the next steps. We are very excited about this new development.”
- Comment - Diageo Spins the Guinness Wheel... Again
- Diageo's Labels Give Industry Something to Digest
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Who should Stock Spirits Acquire?
- Diageo lines up UK innovations push
- Craft is an 'abused' term - Pernod Ricard exec
- Pernod Ricard queries nutritional label use
- SPI Group 'disappointed' over Stolichnaya ruling
- Diageo's Guinness Golden Ale
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly
- Beer Market Insights Africa 2014
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets