UK: Wells & Youngs plots advert ban appeal
UK brewer Wells & Youngs is considering appealing a ban on one of its poster ads for Courage beer.
A spokesperson for Wells & Youngs told just-drinks today (15 April) that the brewer "probably will" appeal the ban, which was announced by the Advertising Standards Authority this morning.
The poster advert for Courage beer showed a nervous man watching a woman model in a figure-hugging dress with the slogan 'Take Courage my friend'.
Three people complained to the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) that the poster implied the beer would give the man confidence to either make negative comments about the woman's appearance or to take advantage of her.
Wells and Youngs said: "Our intention through this advertising is to portray humorous everyday occurrences which Courage drinkers can relate to.
"Every man with some life experience has been in the situation where they have been asked the infamous line: 'Does my bum look big in this?' And as every man in Britain knows, the correct response is 'No!' It is because this is universally understood that we did not put these words on the poster."
The advertising watchdog upheld the complaint and said that the poster "must not appear again in its current form".
Sectors: Beer & cider
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends