UK: Weight management drinks stage strong growth
Weight management drinks have grown 24% to 570m litres in 2006 across Western Europe, the US and Japan.
According to the drinks consultancy company Zenith International these sales equate to a retail value of EUR1,304m and was driven by recent launches of enhanced waters and fat burning drinks.
"Advances in weight management ingredients have allowed beverage manufactures to develop and introduce new products aimed at the significant number of consumers anxious about their body shape and weight," said Zenith research director Gary Roethenbaugh. "Greater concerns over obesity levels and conflicting views about functionality claims have generated increasing media interest, which has helped propel these drinks into the consumer spotlight."
Zenith said that Japan is by far the largest of the three markets, witnessing strong double figure growth in 2006, with West Europe experiencing year on year progress of around 33%, albeit from a low base.The US is achieving growth of some 28%.
"Major beverage companies, including Coca-Cola and PepsiCo, are now active in the weight management drinks arena. This is likely to push further growth as new products benefit from stronger distribution networks," added Roethenbaugh. "However, controversy has followed some high profile launches, as lobbyists and journalists scrutinise the efficacy of new propositions. Weight management drink companies need to ensure that advertising and marketing claims are proportionate, in line with good medical and dietary practice and do not overstate the science."
Sales of weight management drinks across the markets of West Europe, the US and Japan are projected to double by 2011, with a retail value exceeding EUR3,000m.
PepsiCo is aiming to become the largest beverage company in Russia and its recent acquisition of a majority stake in the juice company, JSC Lebedyansky, represents an important step towards achieving ...
Innocent Smoothies' advertising has been defended by The Advertising Standards Agency (ASA) after soft drinks companies claimed its adverts were misleading....
The Pepsi Bottling Group has announced the appointment of John Compton, CEO of PepsiCo Americas Foods, to the its board of directors....
PepsiCo's CEO received more than double the amount that she took home the previous year, according to a recent filing....
Pepsi-Cola Products Philippines (PCPP) has detailed how it will spend the proceeds from its recent IPO....
In conjunction with the launch of Gatorade Tiger in the US, PepsiCo is kicking off a marketing campaign designed to take Tiger Woods' golf game to the "next level"....
PepsiCo and The Pepsi Bottling Group have agreed to jointly acquire a majority stake in Russia's leading branded juice company JSC Lebedyansky....
Cadbury Schweppes has appointed four new members to the board of directors of Dr Pepper Snapple Group, its US beverages subsidiary, including the former Coca-Cola COO Jack Stahl. The other appointment...
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future