UK: W&D profits slip as sales slow
The UK's largest independent brewer Wolverhampton & Dudley Breweries has seen its full year net profit fall 7.7%, the company said today. Net profit reached £38.5m from £41.7m a year ago.
The company said it was hit by a £1.8m loss on the disposal of several of its high street pubs. However sales also fell 3% to £490.5m.
Despite the figures and continued cost pressure, though, W&D said the new financial year had started well.
For the first eight weeks of the new financial like-for-like turnover grew by 5% at its tenanted Union Pubs estate, while the underlying gain from the managed Pathfinder hostelries was 3.1%.
"Having established a strong position in our core businesses, we now aim to invest more in new pubs, sites and refurbishments that fit our business model," said chief executive Ralph Findlay.
Sectors: Beer & cider
The imported premium vodka, Svedka, is without doubt a brand success story in the dynamic US premium vodka market. But its raunchy advertising has ridden roughshod over industry rules causing concern ...
Cosentino Signature Wines is looking to raise over GBP10m from its impending stock market float....
Napa Valley's Cosentino Signature Wineries plans to raise US$30m by listing on London's AIM market this month....
UK off-licence retail group Unwins is planning to float its Phillips Newman subsidiary on the Aim stock market, and then plans to float itself on the Aim market, according to the Daily Telegraph....
The European Commission has opened a formal investigation into a planned €7.425m-subsidy package planned by the Dutch government into its country's malt sector. ...
The Swedish state-run alcohol retailer Systembolaget is to set up a subsidiary whose aim will be to cut alcohol consumption, the local press reported today (6 May)....
The UK brewer Young & Co.'s has proposed simplify its share structure, in a plan that is expected to provide greater liquidity in its voting shares....
Danone and Yakult have announced a joint venture to sell probiotic products in India. The move marks the first entrance by either company into the Indian market, in which they are aiming to become lea...
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- Is there a future for the global beer brand?
- How soft drinks can win big with adult consumers
- Global director int'l brands, Heineken - Interview
- Non-Scotch Whisky Essentials, Part I
- The UK Referendum - just-drinks Live Blog
- Absolut rebound paints rosy picture for Pernod
- SABMiller confirms price paid for Meantime
- Aldi dealt alcohol sales blow in Australia
- Maxxium eyes US$1.4bn opportunity in UK spirits
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends