UK: Watchdog dismisses complaint over Heineken Bulmers ad
The ad was promoting Bulmers No 17
The UK's advertising watchdog has rejected a complaint from Alcohol Concern over a Heineken campaign featuring its Bulmers cider brand and musician Plan B.
The charity, on behalf of the Youth Alcohol Advertising Council (YAAC), claimed the ads - feauturing a surprise pub performance by Plan B - implied that his "confidence had been increased and, by implication, his performance improved, by the consumption of alcohol".
The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) said today (19 September) that it also considered whether the ads, for Bulmers No 17, were "irresponsible" as they were likely to appeal to under-18s.
But Heineken argued that there was no suggestion in the ad that Plan B was "lacking in confidence", either before or during his performance. The musician was seen putting down a glass of Bulmers, but there was no indication that his "performance was improved in any way, or that there was any change in mood or behaviour", the brewer added.
The brewer also said that "the fan base and general appeal of Plan B and his music, were adult in nature, and they did not feel he was likely to appeal strongly to under 18-year-olds".
The ASA dismissed the complaints and said "no further action" was necessary.
This second part of the management briefing for March looks at the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats for drinks companies in the area of logistics for drinks companies in Russia....
The fourth and final part of this month's management briefing, which looks at the efforts of the brewing world in the environmental sustainability arena, considers the work of Heineken, Molson Coors a...
Heineken last week announced plans to build a 1.5m-litre capacity brewery in Ethiopia, which, with the second-largest population in Africa, is a major focus for international brewers....
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)