EU: Warnings on alcohol on their way?
A study ordered and paid for by the European Commission recommends that containers of alcoholic products should carry warnings describing the dangers of alcohol abuse.
The paper, by the Institute of Alcohol Studies, also calls for restrictions on advertising and on product packaging and labelling to make drinks less appealing to young drinkers and for broad educational programmes about the effects of alcohol.
The European Forum for Responsible Drinking, an alliance of drinks manufacturers, said the report "fails to take account of the cultural and regional diversity of drinking behaviour in Europe."
The Commission is to publish its long-awaited communication on alcohol policy in September.
The just-drinks 2006 harvest round-up continues with a look at this year's vintage in France's most northerly wine regions of the Loire, Alsace and Champagne. Lyn Parry reports from the Loire, while D...
The European Court of Justice yesterday (23 November) ruled that EU consumers can only buy alcohol and cigarettes from other EU countries in person if they are to take advantage of lower duty rates. J...
Systembolaget has won the first round in its fight to maintain its right to ban individuals from having alcohol brought into Sweden from other EU nations....
New Zealand's Beer, Wine and Spirits Council looks set to close down at the end of the month after Lion Nathan decided pull out of it....
The impending total ban on alcohol advertising in Thailand in all forms of media has been delayed, according to local reports....
The Charmer Sunbelt Group (CSG) has launched a responsible consumption initiative that will see public service announcements broadcast on radio stations in 11 US markets during the holiday season....
The European Union (EU) Council of Ministers has today (28 November) delayed a decision on setting new raised minimum excise duties on alcohol for up to seven months and maybe longer, asking the Europ...
China has overtaken France in Cognac consumption, according to recent figures....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future