IRELAND: Warning issued over fake Smirnoff Red
A genuine bottle of Smirnoff Red Label vodka
Ireland's health authorities have issued a warning to businesses and consumers after discovering a “small quantity” of fake Smirnoff Red Label circulating in the market.
The Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI) said yesterday (18 December) that it had identified the counterfeit product on sale in shops and pubs. Tests did not show “harmful ingredients” in the one-litre bottles found so far, but the abv for the fake Smirnoff is 32% instead of the genuine product's 37.5% abv, the FSAI said.
The counterfeit product is also labelled “Produced in Ireland”, whereas legitimate bottles less than 18 months old list the UK as region of origin, the authority said. The labels on the fake bottles are also "inferior", it said.
The FSAI added: “The analysis carried out to date on the counterfeit product has not identified specific food safety hazards. However, the source of the alcohol and where it is being produced (or) bottled is unknown and there may be contaminants in other batches.”
Ireland is among Smirnoff's top global markets, according to the brand's owner, Diageo.
The one-litre size of Diageo's Smirnoff vodka has topped a list of the UK's top-selling brands, with the 70cl bottle coming third, according to new figures....
Diageo has unveiled a new global ad campaign for Baileys brand aiming to "reignite" the brand and attract 'Millennial' women. ...
- Will Coca-Cola Co’s Dunkin’ Donuts move pay off?
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Alcohol brands and the 'better-for-you' trend
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Ten ways to successfully target older consumers
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- Heineken's YTD performance by region - Focus
- SWA's David Frost to leave for foreign office role
- Stock Spirits appointments provoke investor unrest
- Diageo unveils new Bundaberg Rum packaging
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends