UK: Waitrose to stock Fairtrade cola
Ubuntu cola available at 50 Waitrose stores
UK retailer Waitrose is to begin selling Fairtrade cola in 50 stores across the country.
The firm said it will be the first supermarket to stock Ubuntu Cola, which will be available in stores from today (1 March).
James Hodgson, Waitrose drinks buyer, said: “We’re always looking for great tasting drinks, and every so often a product really shines because of its story and its ethical contribution. Ubuntu Cola is an example of the great things we can do with Fairtrade, and it is a pleasure to be able to stock a drink which is playing such a positive role in the industry.”
The Ubuntu Trading Comapny, which sources Fairtrade certified sugar from Malawi, said it will donate at least 15% of its annual profits to the Ubuntu Africa Program, which invests money in the farmers and their families growing the sugar cane, and the people of Malawi.
Ubuntu Cola was the first cola to carry the Fairtrade Mark in the UK and it contains Fairtrade sugar from the Kasinthula Cooperative in Malawi and the Kaleya Cooperative in Zambia.
Miranda Walker from Ubuntu said: “We want to make Fairtrade accessible to more people, we know people love the taste of Ubuntu Cola and being stocked in Waitrose stores is a great step forward for us.”
Ubuntu Cola will be priced at GBP0.59 (US$0.88) for a 330ml can.
In addition to Fairtrade, in Europe, there are a number of ethical schemes in the food and beverage sector, including Max Havelaar, Rainforest Alliance, Equitrade and Utz, each with its own set of criteria and logos.
It has been reported that, last year, the European Commission estimated the market to be worth some EUR1.5bn at retail, having grown 70 fold since 1999.
- Comment - Heineken's 'No' Cuts SABMiller Options
- Irish whiskey eyes a slice of Scotch's global pie
- SABMiller spurned by Heineken: The start of the en
- Scottish Independence and Scotch Whisky
- Can the New World Learn a Lesson from the Old?
- Patron Spirits' Patron Citrónge Lime
- Heineken rejects SABMiller purchase proposal
- Wm Grant CMO to head Orangina Scweppes Int'l
- Diageo's Special Releases 2014
- SABMiller, Heineken silent on takeover offer talk