CHINA: Wahaha ups ante in Danone fight with standalone launch
The Chinese firm said today (21 June), that launching its new product without the participation of Danone demonstrated how it wants to distance itself from the French group, following their dispute over the control of the Wahaha brand.
The latest twist in this saga follows recent reports that Wahaha has had an arbitration application for the dispute accepted by the Hangzhou Arbitration Commission.
Earlier in the month, Danone filed a lawsuit against Hangzhou Wahaha, alleging that it is illegally selling products which are the same as those sold by the joint venture and, in doing so, making unlawful use of the joint ventures' distributors and suppliers.
Established in 1996, the Danone Wahaha joint venture is 49%-owned by Zong Qinghou who recently resigned from the position of chairman of the joint venture. Danone holds the remaining 51%.
Speaking to local reporters about the new tea launch not involving Danone, Wahaha Beijing general manager Liu Hong said: "We must expel Danone from Wahaha or the fight will never end."
Groupe Danone has said it is "highly concerned" about the latest reports regarding the ongoing clash with its partner in China....
The Coca-Cola Co. has successfully appealed against a court ruling in Argentina that said a campaign by Danone had not affected sales of Coca-Cola's Dasani water brand in the country....
Hangzhou Wahaha Group Co. has won a legal ruling over its dispute with Chinese joint-venture partner Groupe Danone regarding the ownership of the Wahaha brand in the country....
Asia Pacific Breweries has appointed the previous chairman of Danone Asia Pacific as chairman-designate and a non-executive director of the company....
Danone has received the backing of the president of France, while embroiled in its current legal battle with China's Wahaha, according to reports....
Danone has won a court order that has frozen the assets of ten overseas firms with alleged links to the French group's estranged Chinese partner, Wahaha....
Groupe Danone is set to release a limited edition bottle for its Evian water brand, designed by French fashion designer Christian Lacroix, to rollout in Canada's "high-end grocery stores, restaurants,...
Global bottled water consumption has continued to increase, with Asia/Australasia and North America leading the markets, according to a recent report....
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- Is there a future for the global beer brand?
- How soft drinks can win big with adult consumers
- Global director int'l brands, Heineken - Interview
- Non-Scotch Whisky Essentials, Part I
- The UK Referendum - just-drinks Live Blog
- SABMiller confirms price paid for Meantime
- Aldi dealt alcohol sales blow in Australia
- Absolut rebound paints rosy picture for Pernod
- Maxxium eyes US$1.4bn opportunity in UK spirits
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends