CHINA: Wahaha seeks arbitration over Danone row
The Chinese firm said yesterday (17 June) that its arbitration application was accepted by the Hangzhou Arbitration Commission late last week.
In 1996, Hangzhou Wahaha Group signed an agreement to transfer the Wahaha brand to Hangzhou Wahaha Food Co., the joint venture partner with Danone in the water, lactic beverages, energy drinks and RTD teas unit. According to Hangzhou Wahaha Group, the Chinese state trademark office did not approve the move, however.
"Therefore, the brand transfer failed and the brand transfer agreement expired," the group noted. "The Wahaha brand still belongs to Hangzhou Wahaha Group."
No-one was available at Danone for further clarification when contacted by just-drinks today.
Earlier this month, Danone filed a lawsuit against Hangzhou Wahaha Group, alleging that it is illegally selling products which are the same as those sold by the joint ventures and is making unlawful use of the joint ventures' distributors and suppliers.
Established in 1996, the Danone Wahaha joint venture is 49%-owned by Zong Qinghou who, earlier this month, resigned from the position of chairman of the joint venture. Danone holds the remaining 51%.
Although a small sector in volume terms, the energy drinks category punches above its weight in the global soft drinks market in value, and has outpaced market growth for many years. While the rate of...
Groupe Danone has said it is "highly concerned" about the latest reports regarding the ongoing clash with its partner in China....
The Coca-Cola Co. has successfully appealed against a court ruling in Argentina that said a campaign by Danone had not affected sales of Coca-Cola's Dasani water brand in the country....
Hangzhou Wahaha Group Co. has won a legal ruling over its dispute with Chinese joint-venture partner Groupe Danone regarding the ownership of the Wahaha brand in the country....
AG Barr has seen its sales slow during the summer, thanks to the poor weather in the UK....
Florida-based soft drinks producer National Beverage Corp. has reported a 13% rise in net income for the second quarter to US$6.5m, on sales up 6% at $143.5m....
The US has overtaken Thailand as the global leader for energy drink sales, according to an industry report....
Asia Pacific Breweries has appointed the previous chairman of Danone Asia Pacific as chairman-designate and a non-executive director of the company....
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- This week in spirits & wine
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts